CHPConnect Log In

Healthline member newsletter

Peace of Mind Away from Home

Note: This article is over 60 days old, and may contain information that is out of date, or has been superseded by newer information.

Capital Health Plan’s Away From Home Care®

“My child is going away for college. Can he/she keep their CHP coverage?”

“My job is transferring me temporarily to another part of the country. What will this do to my CHP coverage?”

“My children live with their mother/ father in another state but I have to keep their coverage with CHP. How do I do that?”

The answer is Capital Health Plan’s Away From Home Care® program.

What is CHP’s Away From Home Care®? Away From Home Care® is a network of HMOs in which CHP participates to provide coverage for our members who are out of our service area for 90 consecutive days or more. This benefit allows our members to seek routine and emergency care while outside our service area for an extended period of time.

Does Away From Home Care® Cost Extra? No, Away From Home Care® is available to CHP members at no additional cost.

Is There A Limit As To How Long I Can Be Out Of The Service Area? There are certain criteria that must be met for you or your family to be eligible for Away From Home Care®:

  • A member must be out of the service area for at least 90 consecutive days.
  • A policyholder can ONLY be a guest for a maximum of 6 months each year.
  • Dependants on the policy can be enrolled for up to one year and must renew their guest membership each year.

Will The Copays Be The Same? The copays under Away From Home Care® depend on the copays established by the HMO where you are a guest (also called the Host HMO).

How Do I Get Away From Home Care® Started? It is a very simple process, as easy as 1-2-3-4-5:

  1. Contact Capital Health Plan’s Member Services at 850-383-3311. Have the address, phone number, county and state where you (or your family member) will be.
  2. Member Services will verify that there is a participating HMO in the area (not all areas have a participating HMO).
  3. Once verified, an application is generated and mailed to the policy holder for signature.
  4. Complete the application, sign it and return it to CHP. If the application is for someone over the age of 18, he or she must sign the paperwork as well. Please make sure you send your application at least 15 days before you would like it to be effective.
  5. The application is then sent to the Host HMO and that HMO will mail you information on their plan.

Will I Get A New ID Card?

Medical Services: Yes. Once the Host HMO processes your application, you will receive a new ID card fromthem to use for your medical services.

Prescription Services: You will continue to use your CHP ID card whenever you fill prescriptions while on Away From Home Care®, so you will need to keep this card handy as well.