How to Select a Primary Care Physician
One of the most important health care decisions you will ever make is selecting your primary care physician. This is your health care partner and central coordinator for everything pertaining to your good health. Primary care physicians include family physicians, internal medicine physicians and pediatricians.
The process for choosing your primary care physician is simple.
1) First, find a physician accepting new patients:
- Access the Capital Health Plan Physician Search Tool.
- On the Physician Search tool, click the “advanced search” link.
- Use the drop down box in the category labeled “Accepting Patients” to choose “Yes”.
- Check the box next to the words “Primary caregivers only” and then click “Go”. (If you want to narrow the search further, enter the zip code, city, medical group affiliation, and/or other search items accordingly.)
- Review the list of primary care physicians accepting new patients and choose the one that you would like to have as your health care partner.
2) If you are having trouble finding an available primary care physician, please call Member Services at 850.383.3311. Member Services representatives can help you find a physician accepting new patients.
3) Then, notify your local Member Services Representative of your decision so our records will reflect your choice.
- Call CHP Member Services at (850) 383-3311 - or -
- Log on to your CHPConnect account and make your selection. This automatically sends a secure message to the Member Services staff; your selection will then be completed that evening. (You can register for CHPConnect by clicking here.)
And remember, your local Capital Health Plan Member Services Department is always here to help.